Friday 22 March 2013

The harlot who changed the game!

-And the woman took the two men and hid them....Since I have shewed you kindness, shew kindness to my fathers house-Joshua 2

Yes I used the word Harlot! And I said it loud and clear to the embarrassment of those around me. I was quite amused at the shocked reaction the statement elicited among the nice and innocent young women around me. But I could not help my self! I have been seeking wisdom on how to take my different projects to the next level and I came to the 2nd chapter of Joshua in the bible. I was not really paying attention to a particular character, but she just popped out! I was amazed at her dexterity in forming an alliance and negotiating her freedom. I didn't know when I shouted: This smart harlot!

So that's why the girls were shocked, first of all, the word harlot sounds really 1800's. The common word on the street is hooker or prostitutes in this side of town, but its not about prostitution as it is about the wisdom of her act and the result therein. I don't support prostitution, and if I was the religious zealot I used to be, I would have raised my nose up    to the idea of a woman trading her body in exchange for money. It is not justifiable in any form, although watching Law& order yesterday and seeing how a young girl was forced into the trade gave me a different perspective.

However, as I read, I encountered a remarkable woman named Rahab, why she chose to be a harlot(or maybe she did not even choose it), I don't know. But she had become prosperous in the trade and had even managed to acquire a house by the city gate, which is equivalent to a prime location like Ikoyi or VI. What stood out to me about her was not her acquisitions, but her aspirations! She wanted out! She knew there was more to life than what she had and where she was. She wanted more from life and she was on the look out for it. I believe in the law of attraction, that you can attract into your life what you spend your time focusing on, meditating on and desiring.

When the time for her 'more' came, she was ready and firing on all cylinders. The remarkable thing about her story for me, was the principles I gleaned from it. I have written these principles and have begun to meditate on it to apply in my personal and business life, and I would like to share it with you:

1.She was well positioned: I believe her reason for investing in real estate by the city gate, was to be able to view the men(her prospects) who came into the city and ensure that she selected the choicest ones. I also believe that a deeper reason was that she wanted to be one of the 1st to know when her change came. she was expectant, not only in her words, but in her actions.

2. She Had the kings ear: She must have been on 'top of her game' because the king knew her by name! Now imagine President Jonathan knowing your name and sending his personal body guards to deliver a message to you. She was no ordinary street worker, she must have been skilled in her ability to turn tricks (eye rolling!). It inspired me to decide to continue to do my best in all that I do, so that I can stand before kings.

3. She had the kings trust: The king trusted her so much that he acted on the information she supplied immediately  He did not need to seek advice from the council of elders, he just sent his men to act on the information she supplied. I suspect that she had given him vital information in the past the proved very useful, so she had earned his trust, so much so that he did not question her. This sister had a good reputation and I was challenged by this.

4. She was street savvy and knew the word out there: She told the soldiers Joshua sent; 'My country is afraid of you and your God, I know we are in trouble!' She must have been engaging in more than sexual exchange with the men that visited her. I am guessing she was an intellectual(lol), engaging them in current affairs and politics to ensure she was up to date with the happenings of her city. She knew how to utilize her influential connection for her benefit. I don't think she was a user because she was offering them a service, but she knew how to 'maximize' her return on investment!

5. She was a master negotiator: She didn't beat around the bush with the men Joshua sent. She told them you have to save me and my family and she negotiated the terms of the agreement and extracted a commitment from them. When I was in sales, I was always taught to focus on closing the sale, and this sister was a closer!

6. She was unselfish: As street savvy as she was and as interested in her survival as she was, she was not a selfish woman. She negotiated a deal that covered her self, her parents, her siblings and all her relatives! She must have realized that success is only sweet when you have people to share it with. She also knew that if you gain in all and loose the things that are most precious to you, you become a bigger looser! She was a wise woman!

7. She knew how to keep her end of the deal: The men from Joshua gave her conditions to ensure that they met her request and she made sure she kept it to the letter. She understood the act of following through. She was a woman of integrity! Now you know why I call her the Harlot who changed the game, because she wanted more for her life and was willing to do what it took to get it.

The epilogue of this story is that she and her family were saved. She later married a man from Israel and found her way into the lineage of Jesus Christ. For me she represents the story of 2nd chances, she represents the blue print for turning your life around and she shows that no matter what you situation is right now, with wisdom and direction, you can turn it around.

I dare to hail her and say; many harlots have tried but she excelled them all and changed her life for good. What is you current station in your life or business or career? How would you change the game? 

I would really appreciate your comments in the box below

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let your post be edifying