Monday 11 March 2013

A tribute to the women of power! Friends,family & Rolemodels

I sat down listening to the lady as she lamented about how women were the stumbling blocks to other women, of how she shuddered anytime she was told that her meeting would be with another woman, or the person going to make the decision was a woman. She said when it was a man, her heart lit with hope and assurance that she was about to secure the deal, but when it was a woman her heart sank because she just felt she would be another vindictive person trying to hinder her success.

As I listened to her, I realized how lucky I must be! Maybe because I am a woman's woman, I have had a lot of positive experiences with my female folks. I am not saying there have not been negative experiences, like the childish and malicious gossip in my secondary school and university days; but for the most part, I have been so blessed with wonderful sisters, friends and role models. The girls have got my back.

That's why I write this tribute to the women of power: Women who have touched my life in the last one year. Some are no longer friends, some I have lost touch with because I am such a bad politician and some I never spent time with, but I bask in the euphoria of the words I heard them speak, the day I was in their presence. So here goes:



1. To the Alimi Women- Abosede, Ifeanyichukwu and Maria(my mum by the way): The Alimi women are women of grace, prayer and hope. They are the best sister's and mum a girl could ever ask for. They have stood by me like a rock, they have played with their boisterous nephew and grand son when I needed a breather, they have cried with me, when my heart was about to burst with tears of sorrow. They have prayed for me and made tomorrow assured. They have loaned me money when I was down to my last dime, and they have bought me clothes when I was running out of a tangible wardrobe  They are my sisters, my friends, My mum, my confidants, my gist partners and my anchor women. Alimi means knowledge in Arabic, they are truly knowledgeable women. I salute you women of power!

2. To My OSU Sisters- Mokesoluwa, Abiodun, Olubunmi and Bukola: If I never pray again for the rest of my life, I know that somewhere, some how, you would pray for me. You have chastised me harshly in the past, when you thought I went too far. I sometimes felt like an outcast in the midst of such godly women, when godliness was the last thing on my mind and all I wanted to do was have fun. But through our up's and down's you have all remained constant. I feel your prayers, I sense your good wishes and I know you felt my pain that despite all our years of groaning in God's presence, life would throw us such curve balls. But I rejoice in the fact that despite all we have been through, we have remained champions, we have remained his children. Women of power, I salute you!

3. To Toyosi Akerele: You were my closest friend for the last 3 years. Though we are no longer friends because of the differences in our ideology, you would always have a special place in my heart. I would never forget that traumatic night in 2010, when you stayed with me on the phone for 3 hours as I cried an ocean and packed slowly while I closed that chapter of my life. You were strong, when I was weak, you were laughter while I could only cry, you stood as hope that I could move on. You told me vehemently that if you and your mother could do it, then I can too. You showed me how, you introduced me to more helpers and you pushed me to move on( although sometimes to path's I didn't want to go). I celebrate you, not because the world knows your name and celebrates you, but because despite all your outward strength, I always saw you, as a vulnerable human being, who was determined to make a difference against all odds. I salute you woman of power!

4. To Tara Fela-Durotoye: You have been my personal Agony Aunt. I have loved to hate you several times, but you have meant well. A lot of people might not know that you are above all you are, a woman of God, a daughter of Zion. Those days when I ranted to you for hours, waiting for you to take my side, you always referred me back to him and told me to find my answers in God. You took your time to instruct me in wisdom  some times I have dropped the phone after speaking to you in annoyance, wondering why you were so objective! But a lot of times, I have sat in you office and poured my heart and you have listened like you had no problems of your own. I apologize if I was selfish, but the therapy must have worked, because I don't come anymore and instead I am able to give to others, like you gave to me. Thank you for also giving your time and money to my many projects, like the Empowering women series and the Business side of fashion. You have been a true friend, sister and role model. Woman of power, I salute you.

5. Women of substance-Aunt Nike Ogunlesi, Aunt Susan Eyo Honesty, Udo Okonjo, Mo Abudu: I know I can, because you just do it! I look up to all of you and I am encouraged that if I climb on your shoulders or continue to study your success stories from afar, I can make it. Aunt Nike, you are a role model in a million. I speak to you about twice a year, but every time we speak, that one hour of conversation shapes my life and business decision for the year. You show me how to do it and tell me not to be afraid and I am able to leap and keep doing it. Aunt Susan, you are the epitome of the come back. Your faith in God is admirable, and you are unselfish with opening doors for me. The door you opened for me in City people remains open despite the fact you have move forward, You are a remarkable woman. Aunt Udo and Ms Mo, my encounters with you have been brief, but remarkable. I am in awe at you ability to break new grounds, create new territories and set new standards. You are the modern day super women and when I grow, I hope to be a business woman as you both are. Women of substance and power, I salute you!

Finally, I salute you as you read this write up and are trying to navigate your own path in life. I know you would make it, because God created you to be a champion. No matter what life throws at you, please stand and become the greatness that you have the capacity to become. I salute YOU!



Stay Empowered
Tale.

N.B-Please share your own stories of women who have touched you life in the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let your post be edifying