Friday 8 March 2013

The Blessing of Moving on: No regrets, Lessons learnt!

Happy international women's day! I celebrate all the amazing women who have touched my life in the last one year. Would write a tribute to them on Monday. Now back to the topic:

Days have gone by, seasons have passed, they say time heals all wounds, as much as I agree, I can't help but wonder; is time just a healer, or is it also a plastic surgeon? Why does my heart feel so different? No I don't feel the pain any more, but I am puzzled, not by what I feel, but by the fact that I don't feel any more. I am Numb!

Several times I have prayed and cried to God; help me forgive, help me not to hold any grudges, help me not to harbor bitterness and sincerely, I believe my prayers have been answered. But what happened to my ability to feel? What happened to the excitement that usually comes when you watch that romantic movie or you see that special person that makes your heart flutter? What happened to the eagerness that comes with dressing up for a date or a special event? Why has everything become a routine? Did Dr 'Time' heal my heart and forget to put back the excitement? or what really went wrong during the 'Broken heart' reconstruction surgery?

I have admired several people in my life time, but the people I admire the most are the people with the blessing of moving on and the gift of the come back. I used to pride myself to be one of such. I remember my very good friend in the past Toyosi, she was extremely gifted with gift of the come back. She was down so often, but she picked her self up so fast, that you never knew she had been down, I used to watch in awe those days and wonder how she did it. Or my friend X(who is still my very good friend, so I can't reveal her name) who went through several relationships with different men, who proved to be less than men, but she never let it get her down, she keeps believing, keeps hoping, that one day she would kiss her Prince, so she never stops giving love a chance. Oh how fortunate are they that have the blessing of moving on.


I was feeling down once again, about this person who has refused to take up his responsibilities  I almost regretted ever setting my eye's on him, but the smile of the beautiful little boy that looks just like him, keeps me focused on the present. 

In my brooding, I read an article in the February edition of "O" magazine, where the author spoke about her perspective about moving on. She spoke about going through a divorce and feeling like a failure, but her friend asked her: Did you have good times in that relationship? Did you learn anything? She realized it has not been all bad, and she had indeed learnt a few things. Then her friend asked, did every project you have being involved in that came to an end, mean that you failed at it? No it doesn't mean failure, it just means it ended! So sometimes in relationships, no matter how painful it is, it might come to an end, but the important thing is that we glean all we can and learn lessons that would help us become better people in future.

So back to me; what happened to my feelings, why did I loose my excitement  I learnt some simple reasons, that I want to share with you:

1. You loose excitement, when you loose expectation: Because someone we care for disappoints us, our perspective becomes colored and we think that every one who gets close to us stands a chance of disappointing us, so we develop a defense mechanism to lower our expectations, so that we would not be disappointed again if they don't keep their word. 

2. Trust should be bestowed on a case by case basis: Just because someone disappointed you, doesn't mean you should not trust the world again, it just means that you should give every individual a chance to earn your trust. If you don't open up to the opportunity to trust another person, you would live a shielded and   empty life.

3. You can love again!: So someone broke your heart and it seems like your world is going to end? No Sir! No Ma, you can love again! When God made us, he put the ability to love in our DNA, nobody has the power to steal it from you without your permission  Love can be for a person, or a business or a passion, no matter how many times your heart has been broken or how many times things didn't work out the way you wanted, pick up yourself, receive the blessing of moving on and keep going......


This is not just a write up, but it is an advise to my self; Bamitale-No regrets, Lessons learnt, keep moving!

Has life thrown you a dent? How have you or are you dealing with it? Please share in the comment box below:

Stay Empowered
Tale.

8 comments:

  1. Such an amazing piece. I thank God for the ability for us women to forgive, heal and move on. It's only takes His grace. Thanks for sharing. You such an inspiration to our generation of women. Marriage and its woes....Adenike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adenike, The abiity to be forgive is a choice that leads us to complete freedom thank you for your comments.

      Delete
  2. At what point do u know you have forgiven when you are hurt cos for me, i have decided to move on but anytime I remember those things my hubby did to me though I dont feel hurt any longer but I hiss and call him names. Do u think i have forgiven him.
    The fact that you dont feel excited about dating, dinner etc , you are not alone in this. i also feel thesame way. Anybody trying to ask me out or show me love am always like trying to play along. i really dont take them serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear friend, the truth about forgiveness is that you know you have truly forgiven when your future actions are no longer affected by that person. It might take time to get there, but one of the fastest ways you can get there is to begin to pray for him, not just pray about forgiving him. Pray that God would forgive him and make him a better person. Then you stop seeing him as d man who hurt you, but as a person who is misled or probably doesn't know better. At that time, you stop being a victim and embrace your victory. Then you are ready to open your heart and accept God's amazing plans for your future. All will be well!

      Delete
  3. Forgiveness is a work in progress...even if you think u have forgiven and one day you just get so bitter when u remember just keep asking for the grace to and it will happen....my hubby had an affair that almost broke my marriage. The pain was even more hurtful because we r yet to have our own kids and he was treating me so bad like I was forced on him...I hated him so much that I just decided to leave the marriage after all I had a good job and was a fine chick, but the only thing that held me back was that anytime I went in the place of prayer I knew I had to forgive...even when God restored our relationship and he apologised i found my self reminding him of his sins at every opportunity.anytime I thought of all he did to me at that period I fell so bitter and just wanted to leave....I kept praying and asking God to help me and today 2 years down the road i don't even remind him or talk bitterly about it anymore.....anytime the thought comes to my mind I just go look for something else to do or think of the many beautiful times we had and would still have...moving on from past hurt is also so relevant in marriage because offences will surely come and it is only God that can truly change a person, but letting go and truly forgiving makes u a better, happier and yes the more stronger person.....trust me even the one who has offended you will secretly admirer your courage...loving again is so so possible.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Mama, forgiveness is indeed a work in progress, I think the important thing is that we keep taking steps forward and letting God heal our wounds. I celebrate your courage to forgive your husband and may God continue to keep your union and may you birth greater testimonies IJN!

      Delete
  4. This is a lot but it makes too much sense...I can just imagine the number of women who have not been able to speak about hurt and how their healing process will begin when they read this...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Let your post be edifying