Friday 21 February 2014

I need a girl friend!

Looking at the topic again, It makes me grin sheepishly I know it sounds cheezy, but don’t get worried, this is not an announcement that I am now interested in same sex love relationships! It’s a challenge to us ‘girls’ to be there for each other…

Women are their own worst enemies….I have heard that saying over and over again and a few people have stories to back the saying; from ‘horrible’ female bosses to the older single woman ‘beefing’ the younger married and pregnant colleagues. I have heard quite a number of stories. How about ‘mentors’ who don’t want their protégées to make greater progress than themselves? Or that female Sponsorship manager who won’t give opportunities to women initiated projects? I am an advocate of my fellow women prospering and being empowered so these stories sadden me and I hope and pray that I would continue to help my sisters prosper.

Yesterday I decided to go to one of the events in the Social Media week currently taking place and of course the session I went for was on women doing business the social way. I went prepared to learn and find practical answers that could improve my business. It was ‘one hour’ worth my while, however I asked a question and did not get an adequate answer and was feeling somewhat dissatisfied.

As the program ended and I stood up to leave, I was approached by three pleasant ladies, in the first place, I felt rather special because of the attention, but as I listened to what they had to say, I felt really blessed! They had come to answer my question and offer me practical tips that I could apply to improve my business. After they were done, I was overwhelmed with gratitude, because it was one of the few times women had walked up to me to offer help. It is usually a guy thing from my experience.

This is to say a big thank you to Ized Uanikhehi of Evolvesynergy.com and Ifeoma Chuks-Adizue of deluxechildbirth.com and Sheervirtuosity.com. Your generosity in sharing has made me a richer person and broadened my social media marketing knowledge. And also to Amaka Titilayo Okoli of Spreadmediang.com for the pre-event blogging tips. I am definitely looking forward to our lunch date and the opportunity to take this blog to a new level soon.

That been said, the bible says it is more blessed to give than to receive, every woman you meet is not a ‘bitch’ or a ‘gossip’ or ‘jealous’. There are definitely people who are positive and can add value and I want to challenge you to be an example. How you might ask?

1.      Be a positive person: Yup! Speak positive, think positive and let the positive energy spread. They say you attract who you are, so evaluate yourself, who are you attracting? Some people can rebuff you when you reach out to them positively, but it should not discourage you. I always make an excuse for people who react negatively to my positivity so that I don’t think negative thoughts towards them.

2.      Seek to give not just to receive: I had a colleague who always asked her self ‘WIIFM’ anytime she met someone or had an opportunity brought before her. The ‘what’s in it for me’ attitude is the default setting of most of us and it is undeniably a way our minds protect us from getting hurt or being manipulated. However reset yourself to be a giver. When you meet someone, train yourself to ask; how can I add value to this person or be a blessing to them. Giving makes our life richer and brings back multiplied blessings to us. How can you open doors or make a way for another person today?

3.      Speak positive and encouraging words: A lot of people have personal insecurities either about their physical features or some personality weaknesses. Imagine what life would be like on a day to day basis when we speak positive and encouraging words to people? Our days would definitely be happier. Find something to compliment people about and this would be easy if you are a positive person.

4.      Everybody is a well of knowledge, be open to drink from them: This is something I tell myself every time. Sometimes I feel like I am really smart especially in subjects that I have acquired adept knowledge about. However I have come to realize that a lot of successful people are not necessarily the smartest, they are the people most able to humble themselves to listen to people and get relevant information to apply to their lives. People like people who listen to them which is a point Dale Carnegie made in the book ‘How to make friends and influence people’.  When you meet people especially your fellow sisters, be open to listen and learn from them.

The ladies I met today encouraged me to share what I do to pay the bills (which I really love doing by the way) with you and so here goes; I am a fashion entrepreneur; you can visit my fashion brand site www.recreationsng.com to see and buy the most amazing shirts and more products are coming soon. I am also a business development consultant based on my corporate work experience and MBA knowledge and I am open to help sme’s grow and expand their businesses. Email me at bamitale@en-reachlimited.com or tale@recreationsng.com

Let’s continue to be givers in 2014, share this with someone who you know would really be blessed by it.

Peace and Love

Tale

1 comment:

  1. Go girl!! Happy to have been of help....It really is more blessed to give than to receive. You know what, that experience actually has made me push myself to give more and not under-estimate or take any knowledge for granted. Cheers...to becoming 5 star women. Lets keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete

Let your post be edifying