Tuesday 15 July 2014

There is more to your life!

I have been on a deliberate writing hiatus from this blog because I was working on a book project. I set strict timelines for myself and thankfully the major writing is done…

I also had two wonderful weeks of family holidays/wedding celebration in Hamburg and London. For me it was a privilege to see a new country as I had never been to Germany and as I took in the serenity of the resort we stayed in Hamburg; I knew there was more to life!
I have suffered quite a number of setbacks in my lifetime and sometimes, when you are in the midst of a challenging situation, all your energies are focused on dealing with it that you forget there is more to life than what you are going through.

One of the popular sayings that have kept me sane through my toughest times is; ‘it is darkest before dawn’ and truth be told, it is really darkest before the first rays of morning light seeps in. And the challenge about being in absolute darkness is that at that moment, your brain is seeking light to focus on to lead it out of the darkness and it doesn’t seem to find the light!

 When I was a little girl, I used to play a game I themed; walking in the dark. The game was simply me closing my eyes when they took the light at night and trying to trace my steps to my room from wherever I was in the house. When I first started the game, I would try to open my eyes very wide in the darkness to seek some light to show me direction, but after some time, I realized it was not working. So I decided to start closing my eyes and looking for direction from my memory. I focused on using my hand as a guide and as I felt my way through the darkness, my hand sent signals to my brain and it drew directions from the memory of me being in that location when it was brighter. As I walked through the dark applying this method, I always found the way to my room.

Life can be like this sometimes….. When we are in the midst of deadlines, a challenging situation, a missed opportunity, a significant delay or even heart break, it seems like we are at the end of our ropes and there is no way out of it. But that’s just the voice of our circumstances or current situation speaking to us. Even if you can’t see a way out physically, you can do any or all of the following;

1.      Close your eyes and reach into your memory: Chances are you have been through what you are currently going through and overcome it. So reach into that memory of your past victory and draw strength from it.

2.      Draw inspiration from someone’s testimony: Even if you haven’t encountered this situation before, you must have heard of someone who went through what you are currently going through and overcame. Draw inspiration from that testimony and let it encourage your heart and give you hope.

3.      Keep an attitude of gratitude: One of the secrets I have learnt and I have spoken about severally in this blog is an attitude of gratitude. It is easy for us to find things to complain about, but if we channel that energy to look for things to be grateful for, our lives would be happier and more hopeful. I have also noticed that when I make a deliberate effort to be grateful, I keep getting more reasons to be grateful.

There is more to life than where you are today. Don’t let your current circumstances and situation put a full stop to your dreams. Always make sure that your dreams remain greater than your memories.

Love and Peace

            Tale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let your post be edifying