Tuesday 12 August 2014

Good things take time....

As I walked into the magnificent building, I was intrigued by the beautiful architecture and sophisticated design. I couldn't help but wonder if the owner had suddenly come into some money to enable him to build such master piece. As I sat in his tasteful office to discuss the purpose of our meeting, I asked how he built this. He responded with a smile; it has been a 22 year journey……………..

Patience has never been one of my strong points! I used to struggle with sitting in waiting rooms or receptions waiting to have a meeting or see someone. I would get annoyed when I had to wait over one hour for a meeting that would last for 10 minutes, until I realized that the annoyance wasn’t going to make things easy. Then I decided to go everywhere with a book or a magazine which helped me occupy myself and get some self-development till I was attended to.

I realized I was not alone in the ‘impatience train’ when I began to observe people in a hurry to get ahead in queues or speeding hurriedly on the highway or even trying to get ahead in their careers faster than they are qualified for. I have also witnessed this in the advancement of technology, where everything seems to work at the speed of light (which has its advantages). Or artificially induced growth in food where fruits now take less time to grow than when it is planted and nurtured normally.

As interesting as speed is, I have noticed a phenomenon; the things with higher value and quality takes more time to grow, produce or manufacture. Organically grown foods take more time to grow than their chemically induced counterparts. Handmade leather goods take more time than their machine woven counterparts, even couture gowns take weeks compared to a normal dress that can be made in hours. The truth is; good things take time.

This is not something we like to hear, but it is wisdom than can lead to lasting growth. A good marriage takes time, commitment, passion and effort, a good degree takes time, perseverance and effort, a great career or business takes time, persistence, hard work and smartness. Time is a factor measured by length of days, month or years and if you want something bad enough, you should be willing to commit the time to it.

As I listened to the man tell this story, I was curious to know what kept him going through that long journey until he got where he is today; and he shared three factors:

1.Passion: He said his passion, which was fueled by the dream he had kept pushing him to go ahead no matter what obstacles he had to confront. This passion took him through years of struggles and challenges, but he was convinced that if he kept at it, he would get where he wanted to go.

2. Discipline: He said he continually exercised discipline from making sure he got to work at 7am every morning, to ensuring that he denied himself material pleasures temporarily to attain a long term financial goal, even to ensuring that he did not eat after 6pm every day to maintain a healthy body and stature. He attests to the fact that this constant discipline has brought him farther than his contemporaries in the last 22years.

3. Drive: He is driven to constantly get better, improve himself and improve his business. He see life as a marathon (Check out Life is a Marathon article) and not a sprint and is constantly driving himself to attain greater heights to become all that he believes he can be.

I sit back and wonder if the same ambition and drive is not what pushes people to want to attain things in the shortest possible time? However I realize that though short term results and successes are possible and attainable, but the things that make greater more lasting impact take time.

As you journey through life and make decisions, don’t look for short cuts for things that need you to take the long route. Continue to work smart, but remember; Good things take time…..

Love and Peace

Tale
N.B: I think this would bless someone you know, so be kind and share…………..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let your post be edifying